Thursday 17 January 2013

A Small Square Package

Today I received a package in the mail.  I knew it was coming and I knew what the contents would be in general, but it still made me laugh when I opened it and discovered...



...hair.

Well, really it is raw wool fibre that has yet to be cleaned, carded, dyed or spun.  My friend Ellen got a lot of fibre recently and decided to send me some to play with.  She said that the darker fleece is New Zealand Romney, medium grey with fawn tips and a 4-5" staple.  The light/dark blend is from an Icelandic named Ruby.

I admit I'm not entirely sure where to begin but I'm sure the process will be interesting to say the least.  I suppose it also means that I either have to buy a new drop spindle or spinning wheel, or finish the fibre that is currently on my spindle.  My spindle currently holds my first "real" attempt at spinning - some lovely fibre called "Fairytale Forest" that has been dyed by Tanis Fiber Arts.


 
I have a very real addiction to Tanis' yarn.  I can't help it.  I figured that at least this way my yarn would be beautiful even if my spinning left much to be desired.  I still have quite a bit left to spin though so I have time to figure out the processing of the wool fibre that came today.  Something to look forward to! 

No comments:

Post a Comment